Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Are South African Boerboels good Hog n Dogs

   I have asked myself this off and on since our Boerboel Remy came into our family. It looks like it would be big fun even if we do not catch anything, as many of you know the thrill of the hunt is in the chase.
   Hog hunting  has been on my mind with the recent premier of hog hunting shows on television. I did some research and it seems that some breeds have what it takes while with Boerboels, like many other breeds, it depends on the animal.
     I think Remy would be a pretty good bay dog, which is the dog that is specially trained to find, chase, and "bay" hogs. Remy is very houndy, and is always sniffing for something. She always sniffs out groudhogs and deer around my neighborhood. I do not know is she would be a good catch dog, which is a dog that physically takes hold of the hog, typically seizing the base of the hog's ear. Once the catch dog has physical control of the hog, they will hold it down by the head indefinitely until the hunter arrives. Remy likes to sniff out and corner whatever she is after and bark like hell at it, which is what I have read is the duty of the bay dog.
    Boerboels seems to have a wide range of characteristics that make it difficult to say whether or not they are good for hog hunting. I would say based upon my research that the primary factor that would exclude a Boerboel has nothing at all to do with it's ability to hunt but the very high risk of injury or death for your Boerboel, that is in always present when hunting hogs. From what I understand there are much less expensive dogs that are generally better suited for hog hunting. 
    Remy would probably do very well as a hog dog, but I think we will stick with the local groundhogs, squirrels and the occasional deer around here.

No comments: